Learn the Art of Stained Glass
Call (740) 775-1054 and Join a Class Today!
We offer introductory classes where you'll learn the basic techniques such as cutting, grinding, foiling, and soldering in the Copper Foil (Tiffany) method of stained glass. In the end, you'll be proud to have completed a stained glass creation. In the next level of classes we will work on projects such as sun catchers and lamps. Below you will find a list of our current and upcoming classes, along with a brief description of each class.
Bernie & Max is pleased to offer an introduction to stained glass classes. The intro stained glass course is limited to six (6) students so that each student receives lots of individual attention. Since the classes are small, classes are scheduled based on student interest and have some flexibility.
Goals of the course:
- To introduce the student to the art of the Copper Foil (Tiffany) method of stained glass design.
- At the end of the course, the student will have completed a stained glass creation made with their own hands and will be able to advance to the next level of classes to start working on different types of projects – sun catchers, panels, boxes, lamps.
There will be two classes that are four (4) hours in length on two consecutive Saturdays. The content of the classes will include:
- Brief introduction to stained glass
- Work area safety
- Stained glass - colors, styles, textures
- Tools, equipment, supplies
- Transfer/trace design and cut pattern pieces
- Glass cutting, scoring, breaking, grozing, grinding
- Foiling the cut glass pieces with copper foil
- Assemble foiled glass and tack into place
- Solder stained glass pieces together
- Edging treatment
- Finishing - cleaning, patina, polishing
Class cost is $95.00 and includes all materials and tools for the class.
A $40.00 deposit is required when signing up for class with the balance at the first class. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
Fire~n~Glass workshops are typically held on Tuesdays from 5pm to 7pm. First time projects are usually jewelry and coaster/sun catchers. After completing your first project, you can come back for other projects such as plates, bowls, spoon rests, wind chimes and holiday specific projects.
The fee schedule for the Tuesday workshops will be as follows:
- Up to 4 pieces of jewelry or up to 4-3” coaster/sun catchers - $25.00 per person
- Extra jewelry or coaster/sun catcher - $8.50 each
- Jewelry findings and dichroic glass are extra
The Wednesday workshops will range from a minimum of $25.00 to about $65.00. Below is a partial list of other projects:
- Small Bowl - $30.00
- Small square plate - $40.00
- Medium square plate - $50.00
- Large square plate - $65.00
- 2-4” coaster/sun catchers - $25.00
- 2-Spoon rests - $25.00
- Night Lite (including hardware) - $30.00
Our Box Class teaches the student the techniques needed to work dimensionally and create a jewelry box with a hinged lid. This class also prepares the student for doing the lamp class.
Four two-hour classes. Scheduled as needed. Registration fee: $95.
In this class you will be required to design your box and select and purchase the materials for your project. The student will need to purchase their own tools (10% discount) or they can rent our tools for $10 per class session. Before the first class, you will want to stop by the studio to get the materials you need for the project, the box pattern that we provide, and the glass for your project, which are all available in the studio. By the first class, you will want to design your box and have it drawn on your pattern piece so that you can hit the ground running at the first class.
You must have taken a basic stained glass class prior to this class. You will need to purchase the glass of your choosing and materials for your lamp, all of which are available in the studio. You will need to bring your own tools or we rent tools for $10 per class session. We will provide several lamp patterns for you to choose from and instructions for construction of your shade. These shades are designed for an 8” base and you will be able to purchase these at the studio also.
Scheduled as needed. Registration fee: $95.
In this class you will learn the lead came construction technique. Although pattern work and glass cutting is the same in lead came and copper foil construction, there are limitations and other factors to take into consideration when constructing with lead came. You will learn the differences and the do’s and don’ts with tips to help you along the way. You must have taken a basic stained glass class prior to this class.
You will pick or design your own pattern (please limit your piece count to 25 pieces or less and no bigger than 22” x 22”) and choose your own glass colors. I will need to approve all designs and show you what changes need to be made (if any).
In this class you will have access to our grinders but must provide all of your own materials, tools and supplies for the project and will need the following:
- A 24” x 24” x ¾” plywood board with ½” battens along 2 sides
- Lead nippers
- Lead knife
- Lead vise
- Glazing hammer
- Horseshoe nails and stop blocks
- Whiting powder
- Cementing brush
- Cheapest 2” natural fiber paint brush you can find
We stock all of the above and can build you a board if you don’t have access to woodworking tools.
Scheduled as needed. Maximum 10 hours of instruction. Registration fee: $95 - $40 deposit will hold your spot.